The outermost layer of your skin, known as your skin barrier, defends your body against the constant exposure to environmental factors while simultaneously protecting your body’s critical water balance. A damaged skin barrier may lead to dry, dehydrated skin, inflammation and skin condition development.
Once skin barrier is damaged it is very difficult to repair it fully, even though it is possible to maintain it by adjusting your skincare habits and moisturizing properly. Keep reading for advice on how to keep your skin barrier as healthy as possible!
What Causes Damage to the Skin Barrier?
- Age - As we grow older, so does our skin. Over time, our skin barrier will deteriorate naturally.
- Genetics - Luck also plays a part in how well your skin barrier performs! Unfortunately your genetic history will determine the condition of your skin barrier.
- Skin Conditions - Conditions like acne and rosacea cause fissures in the skin which can have long term effects on your overall skin barrier health.
- Aggressive Skincare Habits - Over exfoliation or using harsh, abrasive techniques can tear the skin barrier.
- Environmental Aggressors - UV rays and pollution in the air can cause gradual damage to the performance of your skin barrier.
Signs That Your Skin Barrier is Damaged
A damaged skin barrier presents in many different ways. If your skin is dry or dehydrated, this is a sign of the skin barrier being unable to retain moisture. As mentioned above, acne causes small wounds in the skin which are a sign that your barrier is in a weakened state. Sensitivity, inflammation, redness and itchiness are other indicators that your skin is in trouble and needs some TLC stat!
How Can I Help Restore My Skin Barrier?
Don't fear - SKIN1004 has some products at the ready to help treat any kind of skin barrier damage you are facing! The Madagascar Centella Cream and Madagascar Centella Soothing Cream are unique from one another in how they restore the skin barrier, but the common ingredient of Centella Asiatica is a great way to start any sort of repairing process. Centella Asiatica is a plant often used for medicinal purposes because of its repairing properties!
Madagascar Centella Cream
- Contains squalene and niacinamide.
- Has a creamy texture that makes it more suitable for night-time.
- Helps to calm and nourish skin barriers damaged by harsh environments.
- Best suited to dry and combination skin.
Madagascar Centella Soothing Cream
- Contains 3 inter-skin lipid components which includes ceramide, fatty acids and cholesterol.
- Has a light, gel texture best for daytime wear.
- Helps to restore the skin barrier's function to protect.
- Best suited for oily and combination skin.